Teacher Training London in Secondary Education
School Direct PGCE Secondary Trainees spend the majority of their time teaching in school and training on the job.
You will get the highest quality training in school and at centre-based training sessions that focus on the development of your subject knowledge and related pedagogy as well as professional and academic studies. At the end of the School Direct year you will qualify with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and PGCE which includes 60 Masters’ Level Credits, one third of a Master’s Degree.
Teacher Training London – the Secondary programme
As a School Direct programme you will spend the majority of your time in schools learning from the very best teachers on the job. You will teach in at least two secondary schools, one of which will be classed as your host school and the one you generally will be in for terms 1 and 3. We try to give you a second placement in a contrasting environment so that you can experience the diversity between schools. There is also the opportunity to gain experience in a Special School.
As a Teacher training London PGCE Secondary trainee you will be immersed in school life from the beginning of the course. You will be in a classroom with a mentor and have the opportunity to observe high quality teaching from the start. The schools in our partnership are highly supportive of all trainees, and you will be encouraged to try teaching small groups and then the whole class as the year progresses.
In addition to the practical classroom experience you will enjoy, there is a wealth of centre-based lectures to attend which will enhance your subject knowledge, give you practical ideas for your teaching and unpin it all with educational theory to develop you to become a highly effective and reflective practitioner.
Supporting you for the duration of the course will be school based and personal mentors who will be available to guide you in your journey towards becoming an outstanding secondary school teacher.
Lecture Content at Teaching London
During lectures, you will focus particularly on the development of your subject knowledge. Included in the London PGCE primary training you will also cover:
- Child Protection & Safeguarding
- Theories of Learning
- Behaviour for Learning
- Effective Planning
- Assessment for Learning
- Working with pupils with special educational needs and disability (SEND)
- Working with pupils who speak English as an additional language
- Social, moral, spiritual and cultural education and the ways in which these link with Fundamental British Values
Secondary teacher training London – How you are assessed
We undertake a wide range of assessment activities and track your progress against the Teachers’ Standards. These take a variety of forms including:
- The application and interview process
- Subject knowledge audits
- Weekly teaching observations
- Visits from your link tutor
- Weekly meetings with your school-based mentor
- Regular review points throughout the academic year to monitor your progress towards QTS
- Written assignments and presentations
The University of St Mark and St John (Marjon), our validating body, will award your PGCE. They quality assure all aspects of your academic progress and outcomes to ensure it remains of the highest quality.
Teaching London PGCE Secondary qualifications
At the end of the year you will qualify with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and a university accredited PGCE which includes 60 Masters’ Level Credits. This is one third of a Master’s Degree. All of our graduates are employed in teaching following the course so the icing on the cake is that you can be assured of getting a job (unless you wish to take time off!) at the end of all your hard work.
The Post Graduate Certificate of Education enables you to:
- develop your subject knowledge and related pedagogies
- critically reflect and analyse your planning and teaching in specific curriculum areas
- understand how pupils learn best and how teaching impacts on progress
- demonstrate your critical engagement with research underpinning professional practice
Our School Direct Secondary trainees rate our training highly.