More information about School Direct Secondary
As a School Direct trainee you will spend the majority of your time in a host school learning on the job from the very best teachers. Secondary trainees will complete a 6 week placement in a contrasting school setting, designed so that you can experience diversity in a range of schools. There is also the opportunity to undertake an SEND placement.
Centre-based training is practical and interactive and takes place once per week at our centre in Kilburn. It is an opportunity to build on your subject knowledge and related pedagogy, reflect on your school based training and develop your practice through further learning, covering:
● Subject specific knowledge and related pedagogies
● Academic Studies
● Professional Studies including:
– Child Protection, Safeguarding and Prevent
– Theories of Learning
– Behaviour for Learning
– Effective Planning
– Assessment for Learning
– Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
– English as an additional language (EAL)
– Inclusive classrooms
How You Are Assessed
On successful completion of the programme you will be awarded Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).
We undertake a wide range of assessment activities and track your progress as a reflective and adaptive teacher and the ways in which you are able to meet the Teachers’ Standards.
QUALIFIED TEACHER STATUS
● Targets set from your interview
● Subject knowledge audits
● Weekly teaching observations, feedback and meetings
● Maintenance of Professional Development Portfolio
● Half-termly review points to monitor your progress towards QTS
POST GRADUATE CERTIFICATE OF EDUCATION
● Regular written reviews (at M Level)
● Professional Development Portfolio and viva
● Two written M Level assignments
Our PGCE is validated by Plymouth Marjon University and carries 60 M Level Credits.