School Direct PGCE Primary (5 – 11)
As a Primary Trainee you will be immersed in school life from the beginning of the course, in a classroom with an experienced teacher and with the opportunity to observe high quality planning and teaching from the outset.
The schools in our partnership are highly supportive of all Trainees and, as your confidence grows, you will be responsible for planning and teaching individuals, groups and the whole class. The programme leads to the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and a PGCE.
Centre-based training is practical and interactive and takes place once per week at our centre in Kilburn. It is an opportunity to build on your subject knowledge and related pedagogy, reflect on your school based training and develop your practice through further learning, covering:
● Core and Foundation subjects and related pedagogies
● Academic Studies
● Professional Studies including:
– Child Protection & Safeguarding (including Prevent)
– Theories of Learning
– Behaviour for Learning
– Effective Planning
– Assessment for Learning
– Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
– English as an additional language (EAL)
– Inclusive classrooms
HOW ARE YOU ASSESSED?
On successful completion of the programme you will be awarded Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).
We undertake a wide range of assessment activities and track your progress as a reflective and adaptive teacher and the ways in which you are able to meet the Teachers’ Standards.
QUALIFIED TEACHER STATUS
● Targets set from your interview
● Subject knowledge audits
● Weekly teaching observations, feedback and meetings
● Maintenance of Professional Development Portfolio
● Half-termly review points to monitor your progress towards QTS
POST GRADUATE CERTIFICATE OF EDUCATION
● Regular written reviews (at M Level)
● Professional Development Portfolio and viva
● Two written M Level assignments
Our PGCE is validated by Plymouth Marjon University and carries 60 M Level Credits.