Applications are submitted through the UCAS website, either to a lead school or directly to Teaching London.
• Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
• GCSE grade 4 or above in Maths and English (and Science for early years and primary Trainees)
• From January 2021 all new EU students will be required to be sponsored by HEIs through the Tier 4 points based system, which unfortunately means we will be unable to recruit EU students for our School Direct programmes.
All qualifications achieved overseas must be verified by UK NARIC.
It is not a requirement to have classroom experience before submitting an application.
However, we do recommend candidates gain some school experience to help decide that teaching is the right career path. If you would like some help organising this please do get in touch.
• Personal statement outlining why you want to get into teaching, referring to your transferable skills, school experience and any other time spent working with children and young people. Take a look at our Top Tips for Writing Your Personal Statement.
• Two references – Ensure you have advised your referees of your application and encourage them to write the reference as quickly as possible. Be aware that your application will only go live once both references have been returned!
• Course codes – Click below to find our Lead Schools and their codes.
THE INTERVIEW PROCESS
An interview will consist of the following:
• 30 minute lesson observation of a lesson you have planned and taught (we will tell you the year group and subject);
• 30 minute interview with panel
• 20 minute written English task
• 20 minute Numeracy task
A conditional offer will be made following a successful interview.
The Department for Education website has a really useful section about planning for teacher training applications.
Visit the page here.
Getting experience in schools strengthens an application. Arrange your school experience independently.
Read more here.
If you register with ‘Get into Teaching’ on the Department for Education website you will have access to lots more useful information
Register with Get Into Teaching